04 January 2009

Calendar Girls (starring Helen Mirren and Julie Walters)

I resisted acquiring or watching 'Calendar Girls' for quite some time. I really did not think that we would be interested in the story – based on a true one – of twelve middle-aged Women's Institute members who posed nude for a calendar.

And yet, several people whose tastes I trusted recommended it highly to me. So eventually I put it on my wishlist, and received it for Christmas.

It’s an absolutely delightful film. The nude posing is very tastefully done, and while the making and selling of the calendar is obviously a significant part of the film, it's only one thread. There are many other sub-plots intertwined, some of them quite moving.

We meet the various characters at the beginning of the film, in particular the feisty Chris (Helen Mirren) and her close friend Annie (Julie Walters). Both are excellent in the roles, as are the fairly large supporting cast. I didn't manage to keep all the women clear in my mind, but it really didn't matter.

There’s some humour in this movie, and there are moments of deep sadness, yet neither extreme is overdone.

All in all, we both thought it a wonderful film, and look forward to seeing it again some day.

Rated PG-13 in the USA, 12 in the UK, probably due to the nudity (albeit tasteful and only top half) and some language.

Review copyright Sue's DVD Reviews

No comments: